National Day, National Education
I'm sure everyone knows that the longest serving political prisoner in the world is Nelson Mandela of South Africa who eventually became that country's president. But I bet you didn't know that the world's second longest serving political prisoner is Singaporean?
I didn't know either, until I read it from Zuco's blog, which, by the way, is one of my favourite blogs. Makes me feel clever when I learn new things everyday.
And honestly, the things they never teach us in school. Hmmm. How interesting.
The date for Presidential nomination is out. I wonder if I get to vote?
Also, quite curious about forever not-upcoming General Elections because Opposition like no one left. J.B. Jeyaretnam is bankrupt, cannot run for elections. Chee Soon Juan just got out of jail, so I don't think he qualify to run for elections. And Tang Liang Hong is still on the run. Only got Chiam See Tong and Steve Chia, so if you want some election actions, have to move to Potong Pasir or Hougang. Wonder if got new Opposition starlets will pop out and get busy siaming lawsuits? For some reason or other, always opposition people kena sue for various reasons hor? Very strange.
The most exciting election is still the 1991 one. Got 4 opposition in government, if I didn't remember wrongly. Hougang, Potong Pasir, Bukit Gombak, and Nee Soon! I last time live in Bukit Gombak one!
Somehow don't think things are looking up for Opposition. Because their strategy, though a little bit clever, still quite on the losing side. You know what they do or not? To increase their chances of actually getting into the Parliament hor, they beri clever let PAP win first! 'Cos they figured, Singaporeans only want some opposition voices in Parliament, and don't actually want PAP to disappear, so in order to ensure come election time Singaporeans will not scare over-enthu vote until PAP out of ruling, they let PAP win first, so that later people not scare can vote Opposition to heart's content, henceforth increasing Oppositition's chances of winning in their constituencies. They also fight in single-member constituency only, because GRC hor, no fight, gone case. Such is what I read lar. How true I don't know woh. But makes sense of the many walkovers in 1991 and 1997. You check out the election results for earlier years, no such thing as walkover one! Last time so much more exciting!
But now hor, government beri smart got plan to counter them (intentionally or not dunno lar). The NMPs! Non-elected member of Parliament! These people are non-partisan, meaning they no political affiliation one. These people can make noise in Parliament, but cannot vote on important things like financial budget and vote of no-confidence (which can dissolve a parliament). Why this counter Opposition leh, you ask? 'Cos these NMPs hor, usually people well-known for brains and power, so more credible than a suddenly pop-out opposition, and 'cos NMPs no affiliation to PAP, can consider as 'opposition voices'. Liddat people cannot say government got no check and balances because ... got what! NMPs! Then liddat, Opposition got one less thing to make noise about, and Singaporeans got less reason to vote Opposition in, since now got NMPs.
I not saying government cunning lar. I like the idea of NMPs actually, but it does make things difficult for the Opposition. Too bad, I guess.
In any case, don't think I will get to vote. 'Cos my constituency headed by Dr. Tony Tan, and is GRC. No chance. No chance at all. Shall resign to fate like father and mother, both of whom never vote government all their life. Voting Ong Teng Chong doesn't count, as is Presidential Election.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home