The Hubba Hubba

"Daily we see the height of intellect and the depth of stupidity which humanity can produce. It follows that if you are capable of one, you are capable of the other. Why should I expect any less from a fool than I expect from a genius? That way he is marked honestly, and he often surprises himself." -- Lacoon's Children, Sam Starbucks

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hmm, the guy who referred me to company 2 just called to ask me out for coffee. Work-related social call 'cos he thought I was going to become his colleague. It's a nice gesture 'cept I'm not going to become his colleague. Apparently, his manager did not inform him about my rejecting their job offer. Confirmed my suspicions that the company is not as cohesive as they've tried to appear. And it annoys the hell out of me when instead of being genuinely cordial about it all, they like to go 'I hope you know what you are doing' and the likes, which is just a back-handed manner of telling me that I am a stupid bitch for rejecting their company offer. Why can't the wishing-me-good be done in a genuinely nice and non-combative manner? Do people really feel better when blessings is laced with rancour completed with nuances of I-know-it-all superiority? Company pride is one thing. Bitchiness, really quite another story altogether.

It's not just about the non-classiness of it all. I just thought that it is pretty unwise to damage social threads for nothing. Granted, they weren't exactly all-out bitchy about it, but kinda bitchiness in disguise. But still, people catch it, people remember it. And it doesn't pay to be remembered for something like that. Not when the country is so small and people are always almost going to be inter-linked one way or another, social or work-wise.

Jing, Bing and I were talking about this our last meet-up, about how social circles over-lap, how someone we know may know someone who knows someone who knows us. Happened loads of times in university already. Makes perfect sense that bad name will circulate. It pays to be remembered as a likeable person, is all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home