The Hubba Hubba

"Daily we see the height of intellect and the depth of stupidity which humanity can produce. It follows that if you are capable of one, you are capable of the other. Why should I expect any less from a fool than I expect from a genius? That way he is marked honestly, and he often surprises himself." -- Lacoon's Children, Sam Starbucks

Friday, May 05, 2006



Last paper today. The university life is officially over. *dances*

The moment I stepped out of the exam venue, I sought out the rubbish bin and chucked the course reader, notes, whatever, into the bin. Very liberating ritual, quite like the way a friend of mine slash the exam timetable row by row with a penknife. I've yet to meet anyone who burn books as a ritual, but I won't be surprise if anyone does that.

Then it's night out with XY. We missed out on Timbre the other night, and today we made up by going to One Rochester. Beautiful, beautiful place, I tell you. Puuuurfect for a date. We sat in the Garden, which as you've probably inferred, is alfresco. Under the starry night skies, tucked in the quiet corner of Rochester Park, comfy red cushions, candle lights, lush foliage, sound of water trickling from the pretty water features, the cool night breeze. Teh pretteh, no?

The bar is on the whole kinda spacious for its kind, set in one of those old white colonial houses. The Garden is really quite spectacular. The Living Room, on the other hand, is quite squeezy you swing a cat you'll hit someone. There're another three lounging area upstairs, they call them the Library, the Balcony, and the Playroom. All very pretteh.

Mostly the crowd are expats, local executive types. So the place is classy unlike the sleazy clubby the likes of Happy and WhyNot. Only it's not easy getting the crew's attention from where we were sitting, and due to the crowd, the first waitress was a little unfocused, and looked confused when XY ordered the Irish Whiskey. Repeated three times. She left with the orders, came back, asked if XY wanted it on the rocks or neat. On the rocks. She left. Came back, and question repeated. Was worried about her, really. And she missed our order for the breaded mushrooms.

But nair mind, I is happy today that I finish exams, so we smiley asked another waitress to reorder the mushrooms for us. One of the nice things about One Rochester is that they really do have quite a list of food for a bar. And I was so taken by the ikan bilis peanuts they served I got the waitress to get us another bowl of it. Was spoilt for choice when it comes to drinks. Ordered a Mai Tai. Regretted not getting a Tiger. All cocktails taste like cough syrup to me. In any case, they do have an impressive wine list, except I don't drink wine.

Beer. Honestly, should have just stuck to that good old cheap local beer. Am obviously plebeian, go where also beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home