So many things to blog about, so I guess I shall start on a happier note.
Today, had lunch with Shilin at business canteen where I ran into Erwin Teo. It would not have been anything worth a special mention if he hadn't proved that he is still ever the gentleman. What happened was this: we were sitting at the back to back purple canteen tables, me and Shilin on one side, he and his friends on the other. He finished first and went off to return his tray. Then I stood up with my tray in hand, my back was facing him and he must have been walking back from the tray station. Imagine my surprise when I turned, and there he was getting hold and taking the tray from my hands in one smooth motion and, with a smile, went off to help me return the tray like it's the most natural thing to do. Shilin looked quite impressed. And so was I. :)
Tell you, this type of guy, close to extinction liao!
Okay, moving on to uglier note about the NUS business school.
It has been more than a week since I appealed for my business modules needed to fulfill the breadth requirement in order to graduate. I've been to the Arts Dean's Office last Friday, where the secretary advised me to call a certain Kim Fong at the business school. I called and called and called, and she was never ever at her desk. Not to be disheartened, I trotted over to the business school dean's office and pardon me, but bloody fucking hell, the people there are snotty you would think they think they are bloody Miss Universe. They don't want to speak to students, particularly arts students, I suspect. And to think that I contribute to their salary, what the fuck. Without even looking at me, the lady who was there trotted away while telling me, with her retreating back no less, that she will only deal directly with the arts faculty. See, students have no rights around the place at all, even though we are technically customers. I shouted into the office, "WHEN?", and she said, "BY TODAY."
"By today" means last Friday, mind you. You all know where this is going already, don't you?
Then bloody hell, I was at the arts office yesterday, and the appeal is still not processed! And the arts person in charge was on leave, so I was advised to leave my number and they will contact me asap.
Then I don't have to tell you lar, they never called. Not their fault though, 'cos they never called since business school never called. Basically, it's fair to say that no one at NUS is bothered about the students except the students themselves.
So today, I went to the office again and managed to talk to the arts person in charge of these tricky matters. Apparently, the school of business not only ignore me, but ignore fellow colleagues too, because accordingly, she hasn't heard anything from them and, like me, hasn't been able to get any of them on the phone. Who is this elusive Kim Fong really? Does she even exist? And if she does, where? The pantry perhaps?
I really wanted to start verbally abusing people right there and then, and I could see that the lady was a little afraid of me already. But it's really not her fault (although I do blame her for not pushing things hard enough), so I took deep breaths and calmly told her that this is ridiculous. It's already third week of school, I have to file for graduation by tomorrow, or is this just a trick to sabo me so that you all can earn some extra money by forcing me to take a special term? She smiled sheepishly and suggested that I try for modules from Science because "Science usually faster". I asked her to justify my paying about $6000 a year and not getting what I want except all these screw-ups. She looked at me with that pitiful look, I said fine, I'll deal with it myself. Then I asked her how I can lodge a complain about all this, and she just said, "Er, maybe you can speak to some higher authority at the business school."
See, I told you, we lowly students have no rights. Not even a proper channel to lodge complaints, except the Straits Times lar.
So now Karen's fate is uncertain. But I have another story to tell.
As I was waiting at the dean's office, I watched these two very well-dressed (and good-looking) guys sitting at the sofa, and I was wondering what business they have at NUS. Turned out they are students (they don't look like though) appealing to do 3 modules this semester. And not because I want to eavedrop ah, but they were talking openly so I heard everything lar. Anyway, it seems that they are directors of their own company and now that their business has taken off, they don't have enough time to attend school, thus the appeal to take lesser modules. But the office people say cannot, you already took leave last semester. The guy argued that NUS stated that students can take as long as nine years to complete the degree. Office say that's for special case only, you are wasting the taxpayers' money. Guy said, but I have no choice, I only in NUS because my parents want me to get a degree, I actually don't care about school. Office say cannot, you must choose, being a student is your priority blarblarblar, your results already suffering because you are doing your business and not concentrating on school blarblarblar. Guy said, but I don't care if I do well in school, can take degree can already, my business more important. And then it goes round and round in circles la.
What's interesting is that the relevant authority kept using a moral highground to lecture the guy about his priorities, that he is not taking his studies seriously and is thus wasting everybody's time. I am in the opinion that whatever his priorities are, it's his business. It's his business that he's getting a CAP of 2.0 and if he doesn't care if his CAP is a 2.0, I don't know why the office lady kept harping about it and missing the whole point. All the guy was asking for is to have a chance to complete his degree (results good or not never mind) without compromising his business development, because apparently, this guy die die also cannot do the required 5 modules per semester because he flies frequently to Saudi Arabia, where his other office is based. Then the school basically machiam issue ultimatum la, it's this or that, and I feel like telling the guy, dude, you can get a degree elsewhere where mode of studies is more flexible. Because even with all the government talk about entrepreneurial spirit and what not, the institution is not going to make things easier for you. It seems almost ludicrous to say that the way to get successful is to leave NUS, but in this case, for this guy, it is true. The school is just not understanding enough to compromise for the student's success, and too slow to realise that this student is realising what the school has been trying to advocate; that is, practical application of things learnt in school and getting out there to see what you are capable of. Okay, maybe this guy has just been too quick to act, should wait until graduate, right? But dude, good business opportunities don't wait! I'm sure there's a reason why he chose to start a business halfway through school. No one will karching itchy do things that will make life difficult for them for no reason one mah. I hope things turn out well for him and his friends, and I certainly hope I can file for graduation tomorrow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home