Netiquette
Something's brewing in Singapore blogosphere (or possibly had finished brewing, but I'm slow) and I catch no ball even after careful reading of comments and entries linked by Mr Wang and Singabloodypore. Not that it is necessary for me or anyone who read this blog to catch any ball, since we all blog for ourselves only, and cannot care less about the kind of blogo-politics going on, but in the midst of all the wankary drama, I did spotted something that disturbs me, and kinda concerns everyone who blogs.
On a site-which-I-will-not-name (you guys would not be interested anyway, just know that it's a place where people post links to what they think are interesting blog entries), there is this post commenting on the level of English Language in Singapore (er, I think?), and for reason only known to the person who posted it, he found it necessary to prove his point (on the dreadfully mediocre standard of Singapore bloggers) by linking to a random personal blog (so who knows one day he's going to link you or me?), which I think belongs to a young Singaporean girl. And because people visit this site-which-will-not-be-named primarily to seek entertainment in blogosphere, this post is going to shine the spotlight on the poor girl, who I believe, has done nothing evil in her past life to deserve such unwanted attention.
I mean, her level of proficiency in the English Language is nobody's business, really. The blog's set up for venting adolescent angst, and in such cases, I believe only a selected group of friends and the blogger herself read the blog. She probably wouldn't appreciate the kind of attention brought onto her blog because, you know, it's personal.
Imagine how it would be like when you are in a toilet cubicle and someone suddenly hacks down the door to look in it. It feels no different from having your personal blog exposed to the world, especially when it is clearly only intended for a selected audience, or no audience at all.
Netiquette, people. It's something like etiquette in real life, in front of real people.
I don't know how many of you are guilty of this, but Karen has a set of rigid principles she adheres to in general. That is, I will not pass on personal information like mobile numbers, addresses, and in this case, blog addresses of personal blogs to anyone without having asked the blogger beforehand. I will not pass on email addresses or MSN/YM/AIM/ICQ usernames to other people without asking the person involved. I will not link to blog entries of blogs that contain information that can be considered personal to the blogger -- with the exception of blogs that are obviously set up for public viewing and exchange of ideas -- without asking the blogger first. And I will definitely not put up links on my blog leading people to another's blog without having first consulted the person involved (particularly among friends). In fact, some of the blog links on my blog are named by pseudo because I've asked and was requested to help keep the blogger anonymous. For blogs that I've found that are already made anonymous by pseudo, I'll just put the link that way because there's no risk of exposing the person's identity anyway.
This is what I consider, basic level of respect for people's wishes. But apparently. the understanding of the concept 'respect' is not widespread enough.
When I was on Livejournal, this concept of respect is very widely practised -- and incidentally, practised by non-Singaporeans mostly. That is not to say that I'm accusing Singaporeans for being disrespectful, but the state of things in the Singapore blogosphere seems to suggest that there is less effort, or even less awareness, that there is a polite way to do things.
On Livejournal, there is a function that allows you to 'friend' another person's LJ, which effectively puts the person's blog under your Friend List, which is a page that collects all updated entries of your 'friends' for your easy reading. On LJ, there is also a practice (at least, amongst people I've come to know) of asking a person if it is okay to 'friend' them. Simply put, before you click that 'friend' button, you leave a message to ask the LJ-er if that is okay, and only 'friend' them when they give their consent. Because, you know, it's only polite to let the person know that you are reading their blog, particularly if it is a personal blog. Because you are wading into personal space, and you just don't swagger into people's house uninvited, and then still not make yourself known.
The problem, it seems, is that most people in Singapore (judging from the set-up and workings of the site-which-shall-not-be-named) think that it's okay to be happy linky because cyberspace is a public domain and if you have a public blog, then you only have yourself to blame if you got happy-linkied on the site.
BULLSHIT. A huge truckload of bull. We are the ones who have the choice of linking or not linking another person's blog. Don't make excuses for displaying lack of decency, and then blame the blogger being linked for being stupid enough to write in a public domain. They don't ask to be linked.
In short, if we link it without permission, we are the devil. Just admit that. It's no different from finding an unlocked diary at the void deck, reading it, and passing it on amongst your friends.
If you are really a principled (and nice, decent) person, you would leave that diary alone. The lack of a locking device is not, and should not, become an invitation for you to read it. The act is an invasion of privacy, period.
It's the same for online blogs that are obviously personal. Sure you found the blog, you are so smart. Doesn't make it right for you to read it, much less, publicise it.
And it's also absolutely ludicrous to justify the happy-linky behavior with the whole freedom of speech thing. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Freedom of speech is your freedom to say whatever you like about whatever issues. It doesn't include the freedom to give away people's personal information, such as a blog address, without seeking consent.
Okay, who am I kidding? Of course the freedom to happy-linky is there because all you have to do is link it. You have the means to do that. Still doesn't make it right, though, and that's all I'm saying.
I can also give you a knife. But it doesn't mean you go around hacking people with that knife. A slightly exaggerated comparison to make, but you get my drift.
Just because an opportunity lies beckoning in all its seductive allure doesn't mean one has the natural right to abuse it. There's a beautiful thing called self-restraint. Embrace it.
Maybe there are people who are only too happy to be linked on a popular site. Maybe some people even exist solely for that possibility. But it's not fair to assume that everyone is the same. There are people who will appreciate being asked or told before seeing their blog content published on another site. Trust me, I am one such person.
And oh, anyway, the site-that-shall-not-be-named is not very worth visiting anyway. I seldom find interesting things there.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home