The Hubba Hubba

"Daily we see the height of intellect and the depth of stupidity which humanity can produce. It follows that if you are capable of one, you are capable of the other. Why should I expect any less from a fool than I expect from a genius? That way he is marked honestly, and he often surprises himself." -- Lacoon's Children, Sam Starbucks

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Last night I went to Rouge to cover an event NOISE by the Singapore Arts Council for my media writing class, and it was unexpectedly fun. I was initially peeved that my feature topic got shot down by the idiot, and when Shilin asked me if I want to co-write the NOISE feature with her, I just went along for the purpose of having something to do. I don't know why I had an impression that NOISE will be a typical youth poser sorta event, but how wrong I was because I had so much fun.

First thing first, Rouge is a great place. I love it the moment I stepped into it. It's big, and the sitting areas are cosy and private, and I can just imagine a group of us there partying inside those 'cubicles' and wouldn't care hell about what is going on around us.

The youths are incredible. You won't believe how young some of them are. I interviewed this group of 14 year-olds who look like they have yet to grow out of their primary school phase, and they were so confident, and weren't at all bothered about speaking to journalists. In fact, they were quite media savvy, to quote the PR who gave us a lot of help with this feature. And a cuppa of bands were quite good. I like the opening performance by Comic Strips, and I believe they are secondary students. Then we preview snippets of the entries for animations, and I was floored. With awe, that is. We have much to expect from Singaporeans now, and whoever say Singaporeans no creativity?

The very young ones look quite out of place at Rouge though, but I saw they had fun hanging around with friends. Minister Lim Swee Say was there to present the awards, and he seemed nice and friendly and all that. We interviewed the National Arts Council people, and chatted with the people involved in this event, and I enjoyed the work. And truth be told, I have a thrill out of speaking to strangers in a socialising setting. So either I go PR, or I go journalism, but I suspect PR may be more fun. In fact, if possible, I may try to seek internship or employment from this PR agency who organised the event. See how lar.

Also hor, they were very generous with the refreshments. Not only were they aplenty, they were got standard kind, almost a bit high class. I loved the tarts, and the sandwiches! And of course, I love the Arts! Whee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home