The Hubba Hubba

"Daily we see the height of intellect and the depth of stupidity which humanity can produce. It follows that if you are capable of one, you are capable of the other. Why should I expect any less from a fool than I expect from a genius? That way he is marked honestly, and he often surprises himself." -- Lacoon's Children, Sam Starbucks

Friday, August 12, 2005

I am rapidly aging. Am no longer capable of waking up at 5am to go to school for a 8am lecture. Was late for class, but not alone. Met En En at the bus stop at Buona Vista, which was a good thing because I wasn't entirely sure of my motoring skills in the foreign territory that is the Science Faculty.

The lecture should have been interesting, and I supposed it was, except I was nodding off all the time because I was god damn tired. It was so bad. I couldn't remember the last time my eyes glazed over and my vision blurred while attending a class. Liddat how to survive the next three months?

One thing I have to say about the Science lecture theatres is, you guys have nice tables! Just the right height to plonk your head on and doze off. The type of table-attached-to-chair tables at Arts sucks because they are small and low and made humanely impossible to rest on. The bad thing about the seating at Science, however, is that there isn't much room to move about. The space along each row is just enough to slot the chairs in. What were they thinking when they were designing the theatres? That students would be able to magnificiently evolve into flying beings, and fly out of their seats with a sweeping motion of their arms? KI SIAO, I tell you.

***

After class, I spent about half an hour at the Science canteen nibbling on a waffle while powing through Woman In White. I think I'm getting into the momentum of the reading, but gods, why must the book be so bloody loooong? Victorian writers just have this tendency to write short short story long long, but you know what? I LIKE IT LEH. Yes, you read it right. Victorian writings may be lor suo, but I like the way sentences are constructed. Very proper (in other words, very England ah), which gives it a sense of formality that is enticing, in an old school sort of manner. The sentences are also nicely structured such that it rolls off the tongue. In a way, you can say it is lyrical writing, its expression poetic, and very charming.

And I do find Wilkie Collins' writing less tedious to read than say, Jane Austen.

BUT still ... wished the book was shorter.

***

10am, I headed off to Suntec to meet Euphie and Hannah for lunch to sort of celebrate Hannah and my birthdays. But it's really just a simple, much-enjoyed lunch at Sizzler.

Hannah was spectacularly late, and on top of waking up around the time she was supposed to be at Suntec, she also managed to get herself lost on our tiny sunshine Singapore by taking the wrong bus and ended up at KK Hospital.

I believe I have found a comrade! See, I am not the only blur queen around! And I am definitely not alone in my no-sense-of-direction-ness.

So while Hannah was scratching her head outside KK, wondering what she had landed herself into, Euphie and I were dying in Sizzler. We stared a hole through the menu, stared a hole through each other's head, and plotted the murder of Hannah, and then passed out from starvation before we could execute our plan.

Birthday girl announced arrival at Suntec at around 2pm via text, at which point we swiftly cornered a waiter and made our orders before we dashed to the salad bar. Grabbed the soup and proceeded to eat it with much-loved Sizzler special toast in manner of not having eaten in days. Went for delicious salad, and upon return found main course to have been served and birthday girl to have arrived.

We forgave her ah. Because we are nice nice people. ^__^

Then we ate and chatted and laughed maniacally in the restaurant. Had a great time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh!!! im so jealous i didn't get to go!!! :( stupid seventh month... :(

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home